Receipts dated before January 1st are due in January (1st Semester deadline). Final requests for reimbursement for receipts dated January 1st – May, are due in May (2nd Semester deadline). If the January 1st deadline is missed and the parent has receipts from 1st semester, the receipts may be turned in by the 2nd Semester deadline. However, any receipts received after the 2nd Semester deadline will not be processed. Please note that non-consumable materials purchased with allotments should be returned to AKTEACH at the end of the child’s schooling experience.
When You Begin Homeschooling With Us and At The Start of Each New School Year:
- Pick up a new W-9 and ACH form at the AKTEACH Homeschool office or download them from the AKTEACH website or the KIBSD website.
- Turn in the completed forms before you submit your first items for reimbursement.
- The sooner you complete the forms, the sooner you will be able to get your reimbursements processed.
- Please contact your child’s contact teacher/homeschool coordinator.
If you intend to make a purchase over $199.99, you need to obtain AKTEACH Homeschool administrative approval before you make the purchase.
When you purchase services from a vendor, the vendor must be on the AKTEACH Homeschool vendor list or must be approved by AKTEACH Homeschool administration and the KIBSD business department before you begin submitting for reimbursement. Individual tutors must have a business license and must pass a background check. All tutors for English/Language Arts, Math, Science, and Social Studies must also provide a copy of their Alaska Teaching Certificate.
Steps for Submitting a Reimbursement Request:
- Check to be sure you have submitted a W-9 and ACH form.
- Use the Request for Reimbursement form to complete the request.
- Provide a clear, itemized description list on the Request for Reimbursement form.
- Verify that your receipt is going to be accepted by seeing the explanation below.
- Verify the total on your receipt with the total of the amount of the items you are requesting reimbursement on. Make the total of what you would like reimbursed from the receipt clear (see description below for how to prepare a receipt).
- Attach all receipts to the form and sign the form.
- Email or turn in the form and receipts to your AKTEACH contact teacher/homeschool coordinator.
Steps for Verifying That Your Receipt is Acceptable:
Each receipt (proof of payment) submitted for reimbursement must contain the following information:
- Name of vendor
- Date of purchase or services rendered
- When the receipt is for lessons, student name needs to be on the receipt
- Description of item or description of service
- Details of purchase including: number of items, unit price, tax, and total cost of purchase
- Method of payment listed on the receipt such as cash, check, or credit card.
- Receipts that are submitted must be clear and readable. (Please see “How to Prepare a Receipt” below for more detail)
- Proof of purchase for online payment must show method of payment, payment date, and amount paid.
- Receipt Checklist
How to Prepare a Receipt:
Financial auditors require the cleanest, clearest version of a receipt possible. To help you prepare that item, see these steps:
- Verify that your receipt has all of the appropriate information as stated above.
- When taking a picture, be sure you use a large file size, steady your camera and proof the shot for clarity. Clear and readable pictures of receipts tend to be challenging, so allow for enough time to take multiple pictures and be prepared to have an unclear photo returned. If you are concerned that the photo will have clarity issues, provide a written guide on the photo clearly showing amounts, descriptions, and totals. (A receipt tape is old-fashioned but works well)
- Avoid highlighting with markers as it makes digital copies dark and unreadable.
- When scanning a receipt watch for wrinkles that may obscure numbers or description information.
- When possible, submit originals.
It is important to note that requests for reimbursement will not be processed without the completion of required paperwork (ILP, quarterly/semester reports, work samples, and required documents for enrollment). Further, requests for reimbursement that are not related to the ILP cannot be accepted.