Message from Superintendent Dr. LeDoux regarding Elementary Reconfiguration
Dear Parents and Community Members,
During the February 4th, 2019 School Board Work Session, the District presented to the Board a slideshow relative to the ongoing discussion on Elementary Reconfiguration. The presentation provides an outline of the issues facing our district, the possible challenges and benefits of reconfiguration, and a summary of the feedback and questions that have been received from discussions with staff, parents, and the community.
At this time, no decision has been made as to whether or not the district should move forward with the reconfiguration of our elementary schools. This is a complex issue that merits deeper investigation and continued dialogue with our community in order to come to a determination for the future. To accomplish this aim, a study group will be established with a membership comprised of teachers, parents, administrators, School Board members, and representatives from our school bus company, First Student. This study group will be charged with:
- reviewing and discussing the challenges currently facing our district which have led to the consideration of elementary reconfiguration
- investigating alternative strategies to reconfiguration, including the potential benefits and challenges of those alternatives
- addressing the challenges and opportunities presented by the current reconfiguration proposal
- examining the logistics surrounding complex issues such as bussing, school start times, etc.
- engaging and educating the community, parents, and teachers
- establishing a timeline for the work of the study group, to include publicly-announced meetings of the group, community meetings, and formal presentation to the School Board
If you are interested in being considered for membership in this study group, please contact the Central Office.
Superintendent of Schools
In addition, The Kodiak Island Borough School District has provided the following answers in response to many of the questions raised at the Elementary Reconfiguration meetings. This will continue to be an active document, updated as needed. Please feel free to contact the Central Office if you have any further questions or comments.