Update on Free Meals Program
The Kodiak Island Borough School District would like to thank you for the opportunity to provide meals for your children during the pandemic. The district has been operating under government waivers to provide meals to all children ages 1-18 in our community since March due to COVID-19. This waiver expires on August 31, 2020.
It is important that you know:
- The final weekend meals will be distributed by pick-up on August 29, 2020- 9 AM-1 PM at Kodiak High School
- Meals will be provided at no cost Tuesday-Friday, September 1-4, 2020 at Main Elementary
- On September 8th, meals will be charged to your child’s account based on their eligibility status.
Your child’s eligibility status is based on the Free and Reduced Meal Application. We encourage families to apply through the district’s School Cafe' program.
Families who believe they may qualify are required to complete the online application each year. If your family received free or reduced lunches while in school last year, you will have a 30-day grace period. This grade period ends October 23, 2020.
October 23, 2020 is also the day that families qualifying through Public Assistance benefits will end. Please provide KIBSD with a new approval letter from the State to receive continued service.
- Parents and Guardians are allowed to pick up meals for their children who are in the Remote Learning Program. A central pick-up point will be identified prior to September 8, 2020.
- If your child is enrolled in Homeschool/AKTEACH and would like to pick-up meals, your child will be charged full price again beginning September 8th. Due to State regulations, homeschool students do not qualify for free or reduced meal price eligibility.
- If you are sending your child to school with meals from home, we encourage that these meals are packaged in such a way that all items are easily handled and opened by your child. This will ensure minimal handling of your child’s food due to COVID-19 restrictions.
Good nutrition is key to student success and achievement and KIBSD strives to provide nutritious, healthy, and well-balanced meals to our students.
Attached are the instructions on how to fill out the application. If you need additional assistance, please call (907) 486-7448 or contact Sandy Daws at (907) 486-7557 or email@example.com