KODIAK, ALASKA, FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: August 7, 2020
We have been notified by the Alaska Department of Health and Social Services there has been an additional positive test result for COVID-19 in the Kodiak area.
One (1) new case has been identified in connection with the outbreak at the seafood processing facility in the Kodiak Island Borough. Staff from the Department of Public Health have conducted a contact investigation and remain in contact with the individual to ensure self-isolation and care.
This brings the case count to 59 for Kodiak Island; 40 of those cases are considered active. Cases associated with the recent outbreak in Alitak are being transported off island for isolation. Our Kodiak dashboard information will be updated Monday, August 10th to reflect the cases transported off island.
The Kodiak Emergency Operations Center is also making changes to the timeline for reporting new cases identified in the Kodiak area. Effective immediately, cases will be reported by 10am the following weekday, with cases identified over the weekend being reported on Monday.
Please be reminded: IF YOU ARE FEELING SICK OR SUSPECT THAT YOU MAY BE INFECTED WITH THE VIRUS that causes COVID-19, you should remain at home and contact your health care provider; you should also take steps to help prevent the disease from spreading to people in your home and community.
If you are not sick, please continue to take precautionary measures to stay healthy:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after
- using the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, or cough or sneeze into your elbow.
- Clean frequently touched surfaces and objects daily (e.g., tables, countertops, light switches, doorknobs, and cabinet handles) using a regular household detergent and water.
- Keep your circles small and social gatherings limited
- Wear a mask/face covering when out in public
- Maintain social distancing (keep six feet of distance between you and others) when out in public.