Message from Superintendent LeDoux on January 6, 2021
January 6, 2021
Dear KIBSD Staff and Families:
I hope that you had a happy holiday season and that this letter finds you and your loved ones safe and healthy. We are excited for the return of staff and students to in-person instruction on Monday, January 11, 2021, and wanted to outline some information moving forward.
The school district is in a continuous state of learning. While we aim to be consistent in our procedures, new information often requires changes and adjustments. KIBSD will continue to evaluate each positive COVID-19 case in one of our buildings to determine the appropriate actions.
- We have the ability to sanitize buildings overnight; the necessity for a 24-hour school closure may be eliminated.
- KIBSD has improved the efficiency of our close contact tracing. We have worked to update systems, procedures and have adjusted to new information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. We are hoping to reduce the number of close contacts impacted by positive cases through proactive planning, and collective efforts to reduce the spread as a school community.
- The quarantine guidelines announced on December 17, 2020 remain in effect. Anyone who is determined to 1) be a close contact, or 2) has traveled off of the island of Kodiak has two options for returning to our buildings:
- 7 – day quarantine, plus COVID-19 Negative Test (on day 6 or later), plus no symptoms, and return on day 8
- 10 – day quarantine, plus no symptoms, and return on day 11
We will continue forward together. As we gain new information, we will be prepared to share it in a timely fashion. In an effort to share up to date COVID statistics, there is a new database available at www.kibsd.org.
Staffing remains something that we monitor closely. Keeping the community spread as low as possible is critical, not only for safety but for our ability to operate our programs
Finally, as we reflect on the last four months of the school year, we take seriously the responsibility to keep improving our systems. We are continuing to work and look for ways to develop other schedules that may further reduce close contacts and allow us to remain in on campus learning. We will keep you updated as things evolve.
If you have questions about your child’s return to school, please contact your school principal.