Letter from Superintendent LeDoux regarding the remote learning schedule following Winter Break
October 23, 2020
To all Parents/Guardians:
As part of the district’s ongoing efforts to ensure the health and safety of our students, staff, and the community of Kodiak, KIBSD will be implementing a remote learning schedule following Winter Break. For all students, Winter Break begins on Monday, December 21, 2020. Students enrolled in traditional school will begin remote instruction on January 4, 2021, and will return to in-person school on Monday, January 11, 2021. Students enrolled in full-time remote learning will continue to follow their current schedule. Your family will be receiving more detailed information from your student’s school in the coming weeks.
This change is being implemented to allow staff and students the ability to meet quarantine mandates, and to minimize the risk of travel-related COVID-19 transmission. While state travel mandates have recently been updated, KIBSD’s requirements remain the same, and are outlined on the attached document.
While each day brings new challenges and changes, KIBSD is excited to be celebrating two months of in-person school. Rising numbers of positive COVID-19 cases across our state continue to illustrate how one infected person could lead to many new cases. Keeping our schools open is the shared responsibility of our schools and our entire community.
Please continue to protect those around you by wearing your mask, washing your hands, staying six feet apart, and maintaining a small social bubble. These simple measures are crucial in combatting the spread of this virus in our schools. It’s not easy being green – we need all your help to keep our schools operating in the green level.
KIBSD Requirements after Out-of-State Travel
- Any KIBSD student or staff member must (according to current state mandate) submit a Travel Declaration and Self-Isolation Plan through the State Portal. This digital form can be found at: alaska.gov/travelers/
- KIBSD students or staff members need to arrive in the state of Alaska with proof of a qualifying negative COVID-19 test
Receive a COVID-19 test for no cost when you arrive in Alaska, and self-quarantine at your expense until results arrive.
- KIBSD students or staff members must comply with strict social distancing standards as outlined below until they receive their second COVID-19 negative results 7-14 days after arriving in Alaska.
- Strict social distancing is allowed after you have one negative test taken within 72 hours of departure, or on arrival in Alaska.
- You may be in an outdoor public place, but you must remain 6 feet away from anyone not in your immediate household, and you must wear a face covering. You may arrange curbside shopping or have food delivery.
- You cannot enter restaurants, bars, gyms, community centers, sporting facilities (i.e., ice rinks, gymnasiums, sports domes), office buildings, school or daycare. Do not participate in any group activities, including sporting events and practices, weddings, funerals or other gatherings.
- This 14-day window can be shortened by receiving a negative result from molecular-based SARS-CoV2 test taken between 7-14 days after arrival into Alaska.
4. If the individual develops Covid-19 symptoms before their scheduled 7 to 14 day follow-up test, they should schedule a test right away.
5. Staff and students may return to in-person school or work once they have proof of a second negative COVID-19 test 7-14 days after arrival in Alaska.