Return to Headlines

KIBSD Spring Break will be extended for one week for all schools in the District, through March 27th.

March 13, 2020

Dear Parents and Families,

The District is taking a proactive approach in preparing for the possibility of a mandated school closure in the future, including the delivery of instruction through a distance model.  In order to allow staff time to fully prepare for this possibility, KIBSD Spring Break will be extended for one week for all schools in the District, through March 27th.  During this time, students will not be attending school.  Teachers will be contacting families to determine the best method for delivering instruction to students should it become necessary to close the schools.

Decisions regarding school closures after the extended Spring Break period will be made in close consultation with the State’s Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Anne Zink, the Alaska Department of Health and Social Services, and local public health officials in our medical community.  Closure communication will be sent to impacted families via text, translated phone call, and email.  In the event that a closure becomes necessary, all schools will be closed, and school activities and athletics cancelled.

At this time, the Kodiak Island Borough School District has canceled all district-related travel for staff and students.  During the extended Spring Break period, after school academic or athletic activities will continue as planned, and breakfast and lunch will continue to be distributed.  Additional details and information on the protocols regarding meal distribution will be sent home to families.  Spring Break meals will continue to be served as advertised.

Take care of yourselves and each other. We understand that many of you may have fears and worries about your own health, and the health of your children and family. You may also have fears and worries about the unknown.  Please know that we are monitoring this situation very closely.  We understand that a decision to close the schools will affect every student, parent, and our entire community.  I assure you that this decision will be made with the utmost safety of our students and staff in mind, and at the recommendation of our medical community.

We will continue to keep families informed as we learn more. Please be sure to visit the District website for frequent information as the situation evolves.  If you have any questions, please feel free to contact your child’s principal, or the Superintendent’s Office.



Larry LeDoux, Superintendent