Child Centered, Family Friendly
The purpose of the AKTEACH is to provide a cutting-edge, K-12 schooling option that allows parents to select from a wide range of traditional homeschool and/or online school options. Local homeschool and correspondence students have access to district academic and elective courses and a full range of extracurricular activities.
Local AKTEACH students have the option of accessing the district’s programs and facilities. Academic, elective courses, and after-school activities are available available to local AKTEACH students. Team sports, group musical instruction, correspondence courses, and after-school clubs are just a few of the many opportunities available. Additionally, local AKTEACH students have the opportunity to participate in Homeschool Swim and Ice Skating events as well as other locally hosted social events.
In addition to academic programing, Statewide AKTEACH students have the opportunity to participate in virtual field trips and virtual instant challenges that are conducted monthly. These opportunities have proven to be very popular with students across the state. Statewide AKTEACH students may also have the opportunity to participate in Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math (STEAM) virtual activities such as First Lego League (FLL) Robotics and Music.
Parents teach to their children’s individual abilities and learning styles by using curriculum of their choice. Approved curriculum is paid for through an allotment set up for each student to meet his or her educational needs. The non-consumable portions of these materials are required to be returned to AKTEACH when the child is withdrawn from the program.
Enrollment with AKTEACH is open to school age students (ages 5 to 20) who reside WITHIN the state of Alaska.
- Parents have face-to-face contact with program representatives who are available to answer questions and listen to concerns regarding instruction, curriculum, assessments, and/or technology
- Availability, identification, and implementation of Special Services (extended learning opportunities, counseling, speech therapy, and special education)
- Students have access to professional services for health screening and some immunizations
- Reimbursements for monthly basic Internet access is available with appropriate documentation of original receipts
- Reimbursement for music, dance, and some athletic lessons are provided (Must be on the approved vendor list to be eligible for reimbursement)
- Parents can be provided a laptop OR iPad for their child
- Students are able to enroll in select online learning courses or local elementary school classes and activities* to enrich and enhance the homeschool experience
An AKTEACH Learning Center student has the option of accessing a full range of academic curriculum, facilities and programs. Accredited academic and elective courses are, along with after-school activities are available to AKTEACH Learning Center students. Team sports*, group musical instruction, correspondence courses, blended learning, and virtual courses are just a few of the many opportunities available.
*Limited to students residing within the Kodiak Archipelago