The purpose of the AKTEACH Homeschool is to provide a cutting-edge, K-12 schooling option that allows parents to select from a wide range of traditional homeschool and/or online school options. Students will also have access to district academic and elective courses and a full range of extracurricular activities. Team sports, group musical instruction, correspondence courses, and after-school clubs are just a few of the many opportunities available. Additionally, students have the opportunity to participate in Homeschool Swim and Ice Skating events as well as other hosted social events.
Parents teach to their children’s individual abilities and learning styles by using the curriculum of their choice. Approved curriculum is paid for through an allotment set up for each student to meet his or her educational needs. The non-consumable portions of these materials are required to be returned to AKTEACH Homeschool when the child is withdrawn from the program.
Enrollment is open to school-age students (ages 5 to 20) who reside within the Kodiak Island Borough.
- Parents have face-to-face contact with program representatives who are available to answer questions and listen to concerns regarding instruction, curriculum, assessments, and/or technology
- Availability, identification, and implementation of Special Services (extended learning opportunities, counseling, speech therapy, and special education)
- Students have access to professional services for health screening and some immunizations
- Reimbursements for monthly basic Internet access is available with appropriate documentation of original receipts
- Reimbursement for music, dance, and some athletic lessons are provided (Must be on the approved vendor list to be eligible for reimbursement)
- Parents can be provided with a laptop OR iPad for their child
- Students are able to enroll in select online learning courses or local elementary school classes and activities to enrich and enhance the homeschool experience