February 15, 2022
Julie Cain Hill – Board President, KIBSD
Kodiak Board of Education Appoints New Superintendent
The Board of Education for the Kodiak Island Borough School District is pleased to announce their choice for a new Superintendent, Dr. Cyndy Mika, beginning in July 1, 2022. The Board wishes to express their sincere thanks to everyone who participated and supported the Superintendent search process.
The Board met in executive session on the morning and afternoon of February 14th, and morning of February 15th, to interview finalists, review the results of the interviews, and review results from the staff and community forums, and candidate feedback survey. The Board discussed the appointment of a Superintendent from the three finalist candidates. After coming out of executive session, the Board took formal action in open session and voted for the appointment of Dr. Cyndy Mika.
Experience: Last three positions
- Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum and Learning, Little Elm ISD, Little Elm Texas
- Director of Accountability and Student Support, Little Elm ISD, Little Elm Texas
- Principal Little Elm ISD, Little Elm Texas
- Doctor of Education, K-12 Leadership, Dallas Baptist University, Texas
- Master of Education, Educational Administration, University of Texas at Tyler, Texas
- Bachelor of Science Interdisciplinary Studies, Texas A&M University, Texas
Dr. Mika made the following statement upon their appointment:
“I’m excited about the opportunity being afforded to to me to be able to serve with Board of Education and leadership here in Kodiak. I’ve enjoyed my time here, and meeting the faculty, staff, and administrators, and am excited about working together to ensure each student receives the educational opportunities they deserve. I look forward to my son and I becoming a part of the community”